Three Easy Ways to Save Energy Every Day
1. Heat Your Home Like a Pro
- Adjust your thermostat down a few degrees at night. Not only is this healthier for sleeping, every degree you lower your thermostat can save you 2% on your energy bill.
- Close those curtains. Pulling the curtains across the windows at night can insulate the room and prevent heat from escaping through gaps around window frames.
- Use your ceiling fan. You might think of ceiling fans only as cooling assistance in the summer, but reverse the direction and you’ll find the fan helps spread heat down from the ceiling where it naturally rises.
2. Unused is Unplugged
- Charging challenge. Chargers for your cell phones or other devices use energy any time they are plugged in, not just when they’re charging. Always unplug chargers unless they’re in use.
- Give your computer a break. If you’re not using your computer, put it into sleep mode or turn it off entirely to save the drain on your energy use.
3. Cook Your Food, Not Your Energy Bill
- Microwaves save time and energy. A typical microwave uses 80% less energy than a conventional oven. So if the package gives you the option to microwave it, you’ll eat sooner and save kilowatts.
- Put a lid on it. Water heats faster in a closed system. Putting the lid on the pot will actually make the water boil faster and save time and energy.
- Use the right-sized burner. When cooking on the stove, choose a burner that corresponds with the size of your pot. Larger than the pot and the heat escapes up and around the outsides. Too small, and there’s not enough heat to efficiently cook your food.
Good Energy Habits Make a Happy Home
When you make these habits part of your everyday routine, you’ll soon find you’re saving on energy. Good for your budget, good for your home, and good for your community too.
What do you do around the house to save energy? Did we miss anything? Let us know!