Michigan Energy: Making Life a Little More Fun
Over the past several weeks, we’ve been blogging about all the things in our lives that Michigan energy makes possible. So far, our Michigan Energy Made It series has focused on everything from our economy and industries to education and health care—but what about when we let our hair down? Though we may not often notice, Michigan energy also supports some of our favorite recreational opportunities.
Local Events and Attractions
Few states have as many community and regional events as Michigan. Supporting such events—especially on a larger scale—requires access to reliable, fairly priced energy. Here are just a few examples:
- Michiganders know how to gather together and celebrate—from large events like the State Fair to the National Cherry Festival, to smaller ones like homecomings and block parties.
- Live entertainment abounds year-round in Michigan—and local energy is what makes it possible for us to take in concerts, musicals, and plays at dedicated performance venues like the Fox Theatre or the DTE Energy Music Theatre (which, of course, is not only powered by Michigan energy, but actually sponsored by one of the state’s largest local energy providers).
- From family attractions like amusement parks, video arcades, bowling alleys, and movie theatres to more adult-friendly destinations like race tracks, dance halls, and casinos—Michigan energy is powering some of our favorite activities. Try to imagine any of these attractions operating without electricity. Not nearly as fun, is it?
Our Hometown Teams
There’s no denying it: Michigan is a great state for sports. Without local energy—and the support of local energy providers—it would be a lot harder to root, root, root for the home team.
- Detroit is one of the few cities in North America to have teams in all four major league sports: football (Lions), baseball (Tigers), basketball (Pistons), and hockey (Red Wings). Michigan also has some of the best college sports teams in the country, as well as numerous minor league squads. It’s hard to imagine being able to truly enjoy many of these teams without the lights, video cameras, and electronic scoreboards powered by our Michigan energy companies.
- There are also the fields our children’s athletic teams compete on, often times in the evening under lights powered by Michigan energy. In addition, there are several programs sponsored by local energy providers that enable Michigan youth to get out and get active—like this one sponsored by the DTE Energy Foundation.
Fun at Home or Outdoors
At home or in the great outdoors, Michigan energy makes it easier for us to have fun wherever we are.
- From televisions and video games to the computers, smart phones, and tablets that connect us to the Internet, most of us have multiple gadgets in our homes that rely on Michigan energy. It’s nearly impossible to imagine a modern household without them.
- Michigan energy also helps us enjoy many outdoor activities and attractions, even if some of them only require nice weather. Michigan energy powers park ranger facilities that help keep campers and hikers safe. Boaters and fishers take to Michigan’s many lakes, but they keep safe through radio, modern electronic navigational systems, and even good old-fashioned lighthouses—all of which need reliable energy to stay operational.
What are your favorite pastimes, and how are they powered by Michigan energy? Tell us about them!