Michigan Energy Made It: Our Vibrant Retail Sector
Michiganders love to shop. From RiverTown Crossings in West Michigan and great small retailers across Detroit, downtown Ann Arbor, and Lansing, Michigan has some of the best retail options in the country.
Michigan’s retail sector also helps power our state’s economy and provide local Michigan jobs. According to the National Retail Federation, retail in Michigan:
- Supports one in four Michigan jobs
- Is responsible for almost one-fifth of Michigan’s GDP
- Supports more than 1.2 million jobs
If there’s one thing that helps Michigan’s retail sector thrive, it’s the energy delivered by local electricity providers. Here’s a quick look at some of the ways Michigan energy helps protect a vibrant retail landscape in our state:
- Reliability: Every business in the state depends on reliable, affordable energy. Volatile or high electricity prices for businesses inevitably get passed on to consumers. The reliable energy prices provided by Michigan-based electric companies help keep costs stable for all kinds of goods and services.
- Economy: A thriving retail sector helps create jobs and drive Michigan’s economy. Without reliable energy, retailers wouldn’t be able to support jobs and generate economic activity in our state and among our local communities. Local energy providers also directly support a significant number of good jobs in our state, creating thousands of customers for our local retailers.
- Weather: Everyone knows Michigan is no stranger to winter storms, and the hard-working men and women of Michigan’s local energy providers go above and beyond to keep the lights and heat on during our cold, harsh winters—and to get them back on when storms cause disruptions. That’s just as important for keeping our local businesses running as it is for our homes.
Do you own a retail business? How has Michigan Energy supported you, your customers, or your communities? We’d like to know!